Glendale Golf and Country Club is a facility unlike any other in Manitoba, offering a combination of world class golf, championship tennis and pickleball in a warm and inviting family club setting.
Toward this end, Glendale has evolved as a club, building upon nearly 75 years of tradition and enthusiasm. Glendale offers a wide range of programs, golf leagues and activities for the entire family. Set in magnificent natural surroundings on the banks of the Assiniboine River, Glendale offers a superb golf course, easily accessible practice facilities and driving range, great food and amenities for the whole family.
If tennis is your game, two championship-level courts overlook the Assiniboine River. Pickleball now shares these courts adding to the activity options available to Glendale members.
A variety of golf events and leagues, social evenings, barbecues, luncheons, and other programs are available to all members. And of course, members and their guests can always enjoy a beverage and/or a tasty meal in the Glendale Grill and Lounge. The Club also offers complete banquet facilities and catering for private functions of various sizes. With challenging golf, tennis and pickleball in a beautiful natural setting, and a host of enjoyable activities for all ages, Glendale Country Club continues to develop new traditions in a classic setting.
Historically, Glendale was known as Winnipeg’s "Jewish Club", given that its founding fathers and many of its members were Jewish. While the Club continues to honour its Jewish heritage, the membership is now very diverse, and everyone is welcome.
As a result of a private club ban on Jewish members in the first half of the 20th century, country clubs made up wholly of Jewish members were formed wherever Jewish Communities matured and prospered in the United Kingdom, the United States and Canada.
In 1946, the founding of Glendale was undertaken by leading Winnipeg Jewish businessmen and professionals Percy Genser, Hy Bernstein, Sam Sair, Nathan Jacob and Manuel Nozik. To finance the purchase of the former Royaumont Golf Course – built in 1922 on the site of the old Buchanan orchard on Portage Avenue – Max Freed, Dave Slater, Alex Mitchell, Leon Brown, Morris Neaman and Ben Jacob joined the founding group.
The legendary golf course architect Stanley Thompson was then engaged to redesign the course and establish the site for the new clubhouse with provisions for parking, a bowling green and a swimming pool. Thompson’s bid to do the reconstruction work was deemed to be too high so the club did the work itself under the supervision of its first golf pro, Danny Stack and greenskeeper, Dick Good.
The first new nine holes were put into play on July 1, 1948 with the second nine a year later in August of 1949. The new clubhouse also opened at this time, having been designed by Winnipeg’s leading architectural firm Green, Blankstein and Russell and built by Pearson Construction Co. Ltd. This mid-century modern building was considered by some, at the time, as the most handsome clubhouse in the country.
With Glendale being well known for the quality of its greens, very little change was made to the course for the next forty years. Then in 1987, the club sold 13 acres of Portage Avenue frontage to pay its accumulated debt and finance a major rebuild of the course and clubhouse.
Bill Robinson of the Calgary firm, Cornish and Robinson was engaged to undertake the design. He proposed constructing seven new ponds to provide proper drainage, which had been lacking previously.
The Victor Allman Company of Calgary carried out the construction, which incorporated 10 new greens and ten new tees as well as many new bunkers. While it was anticipated that the work would take 3 years, excellent fall weather allowed the job to be completed in two. And there was relatively little dislocation of play during construction.
In 1991, a complete renovation (also designed by Green, Blankstein and Russel) of the clubhouse was completed to provide an enhanced women’s locker room, consolidate two kitchens into a more efficient single kitchen, combine the coffee shop and dining room into the Glendale Grill, and provide expanded banquet and meeting facilities.
Recently, Glendale has undertaken a number of improvement projects on the golf course to add more forward tees, rebuild and enlarge existing tee boxes, and improve drainage as Glendale moves towards its strategic vision:
To be recognized as the most enjoyable golf experience in Manitoba for generations to come.